Pages

My latest "Pinter-ations!"

Friday, November 15, 2013

Join Me for a Learning Pow Wow and some FREEBIES!

It's FRIDAY! Can I am get an amen? I am so pooped. My feet still hurt and I am sitting down-- that's how tired I am! It was a good fun week, but just tired. Looking forward to the weekend. 

This week we learned about Native Americans! It was such a great week of learning. I started off the week with a video of a Native American story-teller:


He tells the children the story of how rabbit got his tail. The kids were enraptured with the tale and had a gasp at the end when they heard the ending. Now as to the truth of the story, I do not know but it was a great hook to get them ready for our learning this week. 

Now I have said this before-- I am NOT a basal teacher. I only teach from it because I am required to but do most of my lessons from trade books. I decided this week to choose a book that many of you probably have never heard of:

Click to to take you to Amazon.com to purchase!

This is one of those off-the-beaten path books that is just a great book! It is about a baby rattlesnake who really wants his rattle but is not quite ready for it yet. There is a lesson to be learned in the story and all week, the students and I worked on key idea and details. We tabbed the pages where it showed he wasn't ready and they loved the onamonapias in this book! Towards the end of the week, we did the Fan Pick Kagan structure to help with their comprehension of the book and they really had to think deeper beyond the text and they did such a fab job!







If you'd like to grab the set for FREE click on the pic below to grab it. (I printed them on colored card stock and made 5 sets for my groups.)


We also worked out of my Native American Learning Pow-Wow pack




Working on the Native American Life sort.

Row, Row, Row with Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives.


Indian Baby Papoose.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of all the center because I was busy working with them on vocabulary. They were just loving learning about Native Americans--one girl told me that she asked her mom for a dream catcher for her birthday! LOL!

On Friday, I had my homeroom class again and I decided to do have Learning Pow-Wow with them so I made a campfire:



And we all sat around it.



Some of my kiddos are not with me during walk-to so we all watched the story-teller. We made these headbands-- I remember making these when I was a kid! 



Kids can be so silly sometimes! Overall it was a great-- but a tiring week! 

Next week, we will be learning all about Pilgrims and Thanksgiving. I will be making this cute craftivity based off the book along with a few other things that I will be posting soon (after lesson plans, taking care of children, and being a domestic goddess and wife! LOL!)! 




I am leaving you with a little gift of THANKS! Please click on the cover page of the craftivity to download this cute FREEBIE!


Enjoy your weekend!

Lots of love to you! 





2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Leslie, for the two files. Fun and engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! Thank you so much for sharing. It looks like you have a lot of fun in your class! :)

    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete