Pages

My latest "Pinter-ations!"

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Do you Draw, Write, Now?


This week our learning takes us to one of my favourite loves: PENGUINS!!! Yes, these tuxedo coloured birds have my heart and I squeal with delight every time I see them at Sea World. True story... my father-in-law told me that he was on a flight to somewhere one time and he saw a penguin walking down the aisle! Apparently, they were transporting them from one zoo to another! Now, that's how penguins travel in style! 

Last week I finished my writing project a little early and wanted to get them geared up for this coming week, so I took out my 

Click picture to take you to Amazon! 

Draw, Write, Now book for Arctic animals and I told my class we would be doing a "Mystery Write and directed drawing." Immediately... 

"C'mon, Mrs. Hamlin! What is it?!!"

"I want to know!"

"Ohhh!! This is going to be fun!"

So without further delay, we got started on drawing our Emperor Penguins. I showed and described for them where we should start and what kind of lines we needed. They did so good!



Then I had them write down EVERYTHING they knew about penguins or if they had questions, to write them down to see if during their learning this week we would be able to answer them.








I love this one... "I want to know every thang about penguins!" Love it!

I love how this little one started off with... "Mrs. Hamlin..."  and she asks me several questions! So cute! 

I just love their curiosity and can't wait to work with them this week on penguins. I will be pulling sources from my Penguins! Penguins! Penguins! pack! I have included non-fiction tie-ins in this unit so I am so excited to use it. 


And to add to our penguin fun, Sea World has a penguin cam so we can view these flightless cuties. 



It's pretty cool. They have three views to choose from. One from the top and two are under water. The top one is noisy with squawking but that's fun in itself. After a while of watching, I turned the sound off but I cannot get enough of them. 

Stay tuned this week as I will be posting pics of my "Gallery Walk" of adjectives activity. I am excited to do this. Do you do gallery walks in your classroom? 



No comments:

Post a Comment