Pages

My latest "Pinter-ations!"

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mission: Nouns

Now, I know what you may be thinking... why in the world is she teaching nouns with 8 days of school left? Well as any good teacher, when I see my kiddos struggle with a skill, no matter what time of year, I am going to reteach it!!! Can I get an "Amen!!"?? Last week I used a word sort with nouns, verbs, and adjectives and my class (even my high kids) were struggling with sorting the words! 


Needless to say I was very frustrated! So I started yesterday and  reviewed what nouns were and read:

And passed out a few magnifying lenses and as I read, had kids listen out for nouns. As they listened for nouns, we placed them in our handy, dandy chart:


Their hands were raised, waving and ready as they spied and listened for nouns in the book! I loved their enthusiasm! Today, I reviewed nouns with School House Rock's song "Nouns"




And then turned the work over to them: their mission was to find as many nouns as they could in 7 minutes (could've been more but was pressed for time..) 



and played Mission: Impossible theme music twice and off they went! They were ready to find all the nouns they could!











If you'd like to download this simple activity, just click the 'I Spy a Noun" worksheet to take you Google Drive. 

In other words, this week we have been learning all about sharks. My kids have been introduced into Jimmy Buffet and have been singing "Fins" all week! 




Sorry it's blurry but they were moving so fast! Love it! If you are still in school (like me) and are looking for a  great unit for sharks, be sure to check out my Sharks Mini-Unit for Primary Learners (click the picture to take you to my TPT store) :


Tomorrow is First Grade Sneak-a-Peak where our little kinders come up to first grade for an hour to see what it's like! That means my little one will be gracing one of our classrooms tomorrow!!! Wow! 

Have a great week!



3 comments:

  1. LOL! Looks like soo much fun, Leslie! I can't wait for my kiddos to make the shark hats from your new unit!

    Leigh
    The Applicious Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was totally fun! The shark hats will be a great project for your kiddos! Just make sure you play the "Fins" song to go with it!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noun - What is a Noun? Learn about the types of Nouns. Complete guide to noun with over hundreds of examples. @ http://www.englishleap.com/grammar/nouns

    ReplyDelete